Cardigans

I have been trying out cardigan patterns.  For summer I need cardigans in my ‘best’ colors due to my tendency to be cold inside air-conditioned buildings.

First I tried a pattern mash-up.  I used the base of the Pamela’s Patterns cardigan from the Twin Set pattern (used previously for the navy glitter lace cardigan).  I traced the pattern, then traced the front “band” of McCalls 5890 (Sewing with Nancy Knits pattern) onto the edge of the Pamela’s Patterns cardi.  I use a red rayon knit.  This knit was very thin.  It was a recycle use of the fabric from a  pullover cape I made at Halloween 2013 to be Little Red Riding Hood.  I was not happy with this cardigan – I didn’t like the fabric nor the finishing of the seam at the center back.  The front band is cut-on and really needs to be doubled and sewn on so the center back seam is finished – or can be cut on the fold.

M5890

The second cardigan was made from a two-sided knit purchased from JoAnn Fabrics in 2013.  One side is a black and white horizontal stripe, and the reverse side is a black background with white polkadots.  Some people had issues with this fabric, based on posts on Stitchers Guild, but I pre-washed and had no problems.  I made the body from the two-sided fabric, and the sleeves from a black ponte knit.  I also cut a long strip from the black ponte knit and made a band going around the back neckline and down the fronts.  I cut the band at 2 1/4 inches wide, doubled it and sewed it on.  I pressed the seams to the inside, then top-sitiched along the front edge.  I also added some black ponte faux welts to the front.  The fabric seemed too light to include pockets.  I wouldn’t use them anyway. Buttons will be added to the front – pictures to follow.

I also made a t-shirt from the fabric – using the striped side out, and the polka dots as a binding around the neckline and armhole.  I used the Judy Kessinger t-shirt pattern.  I had taken her class at All Brands in June 2013 and made a fuschia ponte t-shirt with a v-neck and flounce along the neckline.  Judy suggested I raise the back neck and add some fabric across the back.  I traced her pattern, then used my sloper for the neckline and shoulder seams, along with the back armhole.  This is actually a little large, and I don’t think I needed the changes to the back neck and armholes.  I think the fuschia top fits just fine.  This is a ‘twinset’ and even though it is black and white – the white is not too bright.  I think the black could pass for a dark navy – so it will stay in the wardrobe.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s